Vine will see competition from an extremely strong player in the social networking scene from today onward, as Instagram has added support for shooting and sharing video clips, with the ability to apply filters as well, something which Vine doesn’t (currently) let you do.
Each video can be up to 15 seconds long, as opposed to Vine’s 6-second limitation. After recording, users can select from one of 13 filters especially for videos and then share with all their friends, similar to how users have been sharing photos since the service’s beginnings. There’s support for hashtags as well, and a Cinema mode helps reduces shake and inconsistency in videos, though it’s only available in the iPhone app for now.
The Android app will get an update to add video support later today, though as the rollout will be gradual, it will be a while before everyone gets access to it. Only Android 4.1 is supported at this time, but Instagram has promised to add support for more devices later on.
Update: We’ve added download links for the update’s APK file, so you can manually get the video support without having to wait for the Play Store to allow you to download it. As always, a step-by-step guide is included to help you if you’re unaware of how to manually install apps.
- Download the APK file using the download link above. If you are using a download manager on your PC, the file may have downloaded as a zip file. In that case, rename it to .APK from .zip after downloading.
- Transfer the APK to your device.
- You’ll need a file manager to access your storage and the APK file. ES File Explorer is a good free option.
- Enable manual installation of apps by checking the Unknown sources option in Settings » Security on your device.
- Open the file manager, browse to where you copied the APK.
- Tap on the file to start installation, keep clicking Next and then Install to begin installation. If you have Instagram installed already, this will update your previous app automatically.
- That’s it, you now have the latest version of Instagram that you can use to create videos as well. Enjoy!